Subscribe today to receive our latest blogs, articles, podcasts and more.
RREs can opt in for paperless CMS correspondence
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) held a webinar on April 13, 2022, to discuss their new initiative, Go Paperless. Go Paperless provides Responsible Reporting Entities (RREs) the ability to receive Medicare correspondence digitally through the Medicare Secondary Payer Recovery Portal (MSPRP).
CMS established the following guidelines for the Go Paperless initiative:
- The initial opt-in or opt-out is completed at either
1. The Section 111 reporting process
2. TIN Reference File Submission
Note: CMS recommends the RRE opt-in both ways.
- Go Paperless is only accessible to RREs or their recovery agent and is not an option that beneficiaries or attorneys can unilaterally select.
- Once opted in:
- There is no testing/grace period for Go Paperless
- RREs can and should regularly log in to access and manage correspondence and manage email notifications in MSPRP.
- The RRE or its recovery agent would be responsible for responding to Medicare’s notices or demands received digitally through Go Paperless
- A designated Account Manager (AM) can maintain or update email addresses for the RRE, Account Designees (ADs) or additional people or distribution lists.
- Once the Account Manager or Account Designee(s) are sent an email notification that correspondence is accessible in the MSPRP, that correspondence will only be available for 30 days.
As a leader in MSP compliance, Optum is able to help address your Go Paperless needs or other Medicare Secondary Payer compliance related issues. If you have additional questions regarding this topic or Medicare Secondary Payer compliance, please contact Optum MSP Compliance Counsel, Michael Flower, at Michael.email@example.com or 1-813-627-2406.